Can you believe it? We’re actually going to have cucumbers. Better late than never, right? I was so excited when Josh brought in the first few cucumbers to the kitchen, I took one and immediately devoured it. You’d think I was starving for cucumbers. Right now, all we have is the pickling variety. The long Persian ones aren’t quite ready, but a few more days, and we’ll have plenty. You should expect to see cucumbers on the list after the Labor Day holiday for sure!
- PLEASE NOTE THAT WE WILL NOT HAVE PICKUP ON LABOR DAY NEXT WEEK (SEPT 5TH). We will have two more pickups after Labor Day on September 12th and 19th.
- The eighth pickup for Season 2 is tomorrow, Monday, August 29th. Arrive any time between 3 pm and 7 pm and park on the West side of the property anywhere in front of the commercial kitchen (the big red building with the French doors). If we don’t come out to greet you, you can either knock on the commercial kitchen door, or give us a call at 316-227-7677. We love to give tours, so if you want one, please don’t be afraid to ask. We want you to know where your food comes from!
- If you don’t want a tour and are in a hurry, please call us, so we know when you’ll be here. Then we can be ready with your bag of goodies. The phone number is 316-227-7677.
- We provide you with a reusable grocery bag with all your goodies in it. Please bring it back next week, so we can wash it and reuse it. We’re trying to be more environmentally conscious. The plastic bags we use for the greens are still a work in progress, but that is definitely on my list of things to change.
- The market place is updated on Sundays, so if you want to take a look at what else we have available (besides the things already in your bag), please make your orders on Sunday or Monday morning. We can then add any additional items to your grocery bag.
This Week's Products 8/29/2022
|Full Share||Half Share|
|Salad Mix||Salad Mix|
|Green Chilis||Green Chilis|
No pickup on September 5th. Blogs will resume on Sept 12th.
Happy Labor Day!
News on the Farm
Cucumbers aren’t the only late summer crop finally reaching their maturity. We have eggplant too! Granted, since we have both the cucumbers and the eggplant outside, I don’t expect we’ll have them for long. Harvesting the cucumbers is like fighting off a dust storm of cucumber beetles, and the eggplant looks like the flea beetles might have started the largest city in Kansas. But…we will have a few. The last few weeks of the CSA are going to be Awww…some!
Josh started planting the new greenhouse this week with carrots and arugula. The way the weather is misbehaving, however, we may have to put a shadecloth on it to keep things alive. This second greenhouse will be highly specialized with leafy greens for this Fall. The chefs love leafy greens! Although we’d like to say that a Fall CSA is in our future, I just don’t think we can make it work this year. We need to find a way to market ourselves a bit more aggressively I think. Stay tuned for more information next Spring. That being said, we always have the website up for ordering with pickups on Monday.
On a brighter note, I expect we’ll be making A LOT of Salsa and hot sauce within the next couple of weeks. I harvested quite a few of the jalapenos just yesterday. The green ones are for the Salsa, and the red ones are for the hot sauce. We do have a few jars of Salsa on the website today if you’d like to purchase the “good stuff.”
Recipe of the Week
I LOVE HOMEMADE TAMALES! I just wish they weren’t so much work. Granted, we made a lot of the ingredients from scratch, so it took us a bit longer. We made the tomato sauce, baked the chicken, and roasted the green chilis all before we even got to the tamale construction! I’m telling you: doing everything from scratch in the kitchen is easily a full-time job. But I digress. At the very least, roast your green chilis this week, and put them in something. They were easily the best part of the tamale. Despite all the hard work, we made this batch of 40 tamales, and they were gone within 2 days (no kidding). If you want to spend some time with family or friends in the kitchen, please take this recipe and make it a “kitchen day.”
What's New in the Market Place
Though cucumbers will be in the last two weeks of the shares, you can certainly purchase them early if you would like. Or as I mentioned in the Farm News, you can also get a jar of our salsa before we sell out again!